Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Flowers and Poetry!

It's not often that we have an excuse to study names of flowers, but that is one of the most important features of Jackson Park. It contains the Queen Elizabeth II Gardens.

So we learned the names of ten flowers (you already knew the word "rose.")

If it ever stops raining, we may finally be able to take our field trip. When we do, we are going to practice phrases such as:
  • Let's...
  • Do you want to...
  • Would you like to...
  • ...take a stroll?
  • ...take a selfie?
  •  ...go look at that statue?
  • ...go look at that memorial?
  • ...go look at that monument?
  • ...go sit on that bench?
  • ...play badminton?
  • ...play with the Chinese yo-yo?
  • Do you know the name of that...
  • ...plant?
  • ...tree?
  • ...flower?
 When we visit the park, we may see a statue of a famous poet. Here is a poem he wrote.


A Red, Red Rose -- Robert Burns, 1794

O my Luve's like a red, red rose,
That's newly sprung in June:
O my Luve's like the melodie,
That's sweetly play'd in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.

And fare-thee-weel, my only Luve!
And fare-thee-weel, a while!
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho' 'twere ten thousand mile!

No comments:

Post a Comment